March 30, 2011

Bear

Almost lost Bear, our puppy. She has been rough with the goats. She's an Anatolian Pyrenees, born right before Christmas. She is a livestock guardian dog and she's learning her "job", which is to watch the goats. She tries to make them do what she wants, when she wants, and well, the goats, wont. LOL. Being a puppy she bites harder than she means to and has drawn blood on 2 of them. She likes to go for the back leg and ears. I researched ways to stop this and other than getting a shock collar (which means hiding and waiting for her to "earn" her shock), or finding some bitter apple spray and spraying on the goats ears and legs so she wont like the taste and stop. Anyway, I ramble. We have been keeping Bear separate from the goats until the nibbling stops. The shed they sleep in has a screen door separating 2 rooms. Its an old screen door with a decorative gate like panel on it. I heard her barking from inside the house but just thought she was missing her sleeping buddies since it was the first night she has slept apart from them. I went out after dark like I always do and saw that Bear has tried to squeeze in between the bars on that decorative front and was stuck, half in half out, and dangling. I don't know how she did it, but she wasn't doing well. Lethargic, foaming at her mouth and not breathing well. I had a hell of a time freeing her, but something just kicks in and you do it ya know? She wouldn't/couldn't walk so I carried her over to her blanket and she crawled into her house. I sat out there with her for a couple hours just watching. She wouldn't of made it had I not gone out there. The next morning she was fine like nothing at all had happened.! I slid a piece of paneling in the door even though I'm pretty sure she would NEVER try that again! LOL. ugh.

No comments:

Post a Comment